Tofu also known as bean curd or soy paneer replaces paneer easily in any recipe. Its a good protein source, healthy and cruelty-free too.
- 1 onion
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 5-6 garlic
- 1/2 piece ginger
- 10-12 cashews
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp crushed Kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp Vegan butter (optional – used Hearth & Heart)
- Coriander leaves
Garnish – Cashew cream (optional)
- Grind 3-4 soaked cashews with a little water to make a smooth creamy paste
- Soak cashews and keep aside (some for gravy & few for the cashew cream).
- Marinate tofu pieces in little salt, chilly powder, pinch of pepper powder and keep aside.
- Roughly chop the onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic.
- Heat a little oil in a pan & saute chopped onion.
- Add ginger, garlic & saute.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Saute for a min.
- Add 8-10 soaked cashews, saute.
- Add a cup of water & let it simmer for 5-6 mins.
- Let it cool and puree in mixie. Sieve the mixture if needed for a smoother gravy.
- Fry the tofu pieces and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add a little oil & 1 tbsp of vegan butter. Add the pureed mixture, add a little water if the gravy consistency is too thick.
- Add chilly powder, salt. Let it simmer for a min.
- Add garam masala, crush the kasuri methi between the palms of your hands & add. Mix well.
- Add the tofu pieces, simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Garnish with a little cashew cream & chopped coriander leaves.
Vanessa believes in conscious & compassionate living. She follows a plant-based lifestyle and loves to be creative. She shares recipes on her page The Vanilla Vegan to show others the simplicity of plant-based living.