A healthy and delicious vegan free starter.
For coating the tofu-
- 250 grams tofu cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup water to make the batter
- Oil for frying
For sauce and stir frying
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp green chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp red chili sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 green chili
- 1 medium onion petals separated
- 1 Bell pepper
- 3-4 tbsp springs onions
- In a large bowl, add 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 3 tablespoons flour along with salt, pepper.
- Add water to make a batter, it should neither be thick nor thin. add a little less than 1/2 cup water here. Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadhai on medium heat to deep fry/shallow fry the tofu
- Dip each tofu cube into the batter and add them into the heated oil
- Fry until they are crispy and golden brown from each side and then set them aside once they are done.
- Heat oil in a Kadhai on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, spring onions and green chili and Saute them for a minute.
- Add the onion and bell pepper.
- Cook them for a minute more and then add 2 tbsp soya sauce, 1tsp vinegar 2 tsp red chilli sauce & 2 tbsp tomato ketchup.
- Mix well until they thicken and then add in 2-3 tbsp water.
- In a small bowl add 1-2tbsp cornstarch and water & make a slurry. Put this slurry in the kadhai to thicken the gravy.
- Stir in the fried tofu & Toss to combine it with the sauce
- Turn the heat off and garnish with spring Onions.
Serve this with steamed rice.
Vikyath is a budding vegan chef , currently pursuing his Hotel management in Culinary arts from the prestigious Manipal University. His love for animals and cruelty towards them turned him vegan.