All vegan & easy to make at home using your everyday nutrient rich chickpea!
Chickpea is high in protein & fibre and sesame seeds in calcium.
- Boiled chickpeas
- 3-4 garlic
- 1tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1tsp chilly powder
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper – red
- Parsley / Coriander leaves
- 1tbsp Tahini paste* (sesame seeds+olive oil)
- Pita bread
- Roast sesame seeds (til) till color changes slightly. Cool & grind in mixie.
- Mix with olive oil to make a paste.
For the Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus:
- Rub a little oil on the bell pepper.
- Roast over flame, turn on all sides till charred.
- Let it cool, peel & discard the outer skin.
- Add these pieces with the same ingredients & follow the same steps as the simple hummus.
For Simple Hummus:
- Soak chickpeas overnight and boil. Keep liquid to use in blending.
- Blend a bowl of chickpeas, 2 garlic, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, lil chilly powder, 1 tbsp tahini, salt, lemon juice, little oil into a smooth paste. Taste & adjust.
- Add a little liquid or water as needed.
- Make a dent with a spoon and drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle chilly powder.
- Garnish with parsley or coriander leaves.
Grill pita bread on grill pan & serve.
- Divide in 2 portions so you have enough for both.
- Add more chilly powder if you like it spicy.
- Can roast bell pepper in the oven as well.
- Pita bread is store bought but check packing to see that it’s vegan.
Vanessa believes in conscious & compassionate living. She follows a plant-based lifestyle and loves to be creative and take photos of food. She manages the page The Vanilla Vegan where she shares recipes to show others the simplicity of plant-based living.