- 1 cup Soya pieces
- 1.5 cups Basmati rice
- 3-4 Onions sliced
- 4 Tomatoes diced
- 3 Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Soy yoghurt (non-dairy curd)
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- Whole spices- 3 bayleafs, 4 cardamons, 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 peppercorns, 4 cloves, 1 black cardamon, cumin seeds
- Spice powders- 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilly, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp garam masala
- Coriander & mint leaves
- 3-4 green chillies
- Kesar (saffron strands)
For Rice –
- Soak basmati rice for 15-20 mins.
- Boil water and add a tsp of oil, 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Add 1 bayleaf, 2 cardamons, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 peppercorns, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, salt.
- Once the rice cooks, strain the water & keep aside. Don’t overcook.
For Soya Biryani-
- Soak soya pieces in lightly salted hot water for 15-20 mins. Once cool, squeeze the water out. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a vessel. Add 2 bayleafs, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamon, 1 cinnamon stick, cumin seeds.
- Add onions. Fry till brown. Keep some aside for garnish (this can also be fried separately later)
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Fry for few secs.
- Add soya pieces. Saute for a min or so.
- Add the spice powders. Saute.
- Add 3 chopped tomatoes. Cook till soft. Add little water as needed for gravy.
- Add 1/2 cup soy curd. Mix well, let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Fry the potatoes slightly and add. Cook till soft. There should be a little gravy.
- Add salt to taste & few drops lime juice.
- Add chopped mint & coriander leaves & 3-4 green chillies.
- Add the rice over this soya gravy layer.
- Sprinkle kesar water over the top. (Saffron strands soaked in little warm water).
- Garnish with coriander & mint leaves.
- Cover & keep on low heat for 10 mins. Shut off gas and keep vessel closed for another 10 mins.
For Soycurd Raita-
- Whisk 1/2 cup soy yoghurt.
- Add 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped tomato, black salt.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp cumin powder, pinch of chilly powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Vezlay soya vegget has been used in this recipe. Any soya chunks can be used.
Vanessa believes in conscious & compassionate living. She follows a plant-based lifestyle and loves to be creative. She shares recipes on her page The Vanilla Vegan to show others the simplicity of plant-based living.