Celebrate the festive season with this easy sugar free, vegan mithai. Festivals & occasions are incomplete without sweets but we can choose compassionate ways to celebrate.
- 250g seedless dates (khajur)
- 100g dried figs (anjeer)
- 100g mixed nuts (cashew, almond, pistachio)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1-2 tbsp vegan ghee or oil
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Chop the dates & figs into small pieces.
- Grind in the mixie to a coarse paste.
- Dry roast the poppy seeds in a pan till golden and keep aside.
- Chop the nuts. Heat 1 tbsp vegan ghee and fry the nuts. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegan ghee, add the date & fig paste. Keep on low heat, stir occasionally till it softens.
- Add the nuts, 1 tbsp of the poppy seeds and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Place the mixture on a baking paper and let it cool slightly. Form into a cylindrical log shape.
- Sprinkle the balance 1 tbsp of poppy seeds and a few finely chopped pistachios on the paper and roll the log over it so it gets coated.
- Wrap tightly in the paper and twist at both ends.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and then cut into slices.
Vanessa believes in conscious & compassionate living. She follows a plant-based lifestyle and loves to be creative. She shares recipes on her page The Vanilla Vegan to show others the simplicity of plant-based living.